Monday, August 27, 2007

You can't eat just one!

We were talking in our ACTS class last night about how new Christians don't immediately recognize a desire for the Word of God. I explain it as the potato chip theory. Once you eat one, you develop an overwhelming desire for more. You can't eat just one. But, of course, you don't realize how great that desire for more chips will become until you eat your first.

I know it seems crazy to be comparing the Word of God with potato chips. But that is what is is. As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby; If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious. 1 Peter 2:2-3 KJV or Like newborn babies crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good. NIV

The Word of God is our food by which we grow and mature in our walk. Deny ourselves nourishment and we will wither and weaken. Feed abundantly on the Word of God and we will thrive. And just like the natural life cycle, our bodies adjust what type of food it is able to digest. Just like a baby develops from being able to digest milk to solid food, as Christians we are able to digest more solid scripture. Our tools have developed. We have stronger teeth. But we also have developed a stronger desire or craving for more nourishment.

New Christians have not yet tasted all the food. They don't know what kind of food will leave them feeling the most fulfilled. So, what can we do? Allow them to Taste and see that the Lord is good. Psalm 34:8 Feed them chips!

1 comment:

TheNormalMiddle said...

This is going to sound completely awful. I've been a Christian for 17 years. I've been a serious Christian for the last 5 years (the previous years were "FIRE INSURANCE" as they say).

I had such a ZEAL and ZEST to read the Word about 6 months ago while doing my Beth Moore Daniel study. I couldn't get enough of it.

And then, I fell out of the habit, and I cannot seem to drag myself back into doing it regularly. I feel completely awful, and I think that is part of why Im' in such a funk as of late. I need to get down and read more. I really do.

Thank you for the prompting and gentle reminder!