Monday, August 20, 2007

Prayer Request

Alea has been getting more migraines lately. For those of you who don't know her, she just turned 8. At her last appointment with the neurologist, she had had two in three months, and then only when she had forgotten to take her medicine the night before. She has had two in the last week, one occuring Saturday on her birthday.

She has what are called abdominal migraines. She gets all the same symptoms as regular migraine sufferers, but rarely gets a 'headache'. She has distorted vision, and light and sound sensitivity, and other symptoms. But mostly she suffers from nausea and vomiting. And she has become so anxious that she is going to get sick, I believe it is worsening her migraines.

Of course, the doctor has been pounding into me the need to treat it as a 'headache' even if she has no head pain. It was hard for me to grasp to give her Advil for nausea. Her doctor kept asking me if I gave her any Advil when she got a 'headache', and I would reply that her head didn't hurt. She finally gave me the 'poor, simple parent look' and explained to me that just because she was lacking one of twelve symptoms did not negate the fact that she had a headache. Ah, now I get it!

Please pray for her. If she continues to have problems, they want to put her on some strong antiseizure drugs (like Depakote or Topamax or Neurontin), and the thought of that scares us all. I know that God can heal her. She had asked to be taken to the elders and be annointed, and we did this a couple of months ago. We are waiting for God's timing. We still believe that God is going to heal her completely because we know that in Romans we are told that in all things, God works for the good of those who love Him. And I know that one day we will look back and say 'Ah, now I see. I understand', but in the meantime it is so difficult to look at your child and see that fear and suffering.

Thanks for your prayers!

No comments: