Monday, August 13, 2007

What is koinonia community?

Koinonia community. Wonder what it means? Good, I knew you wanted to know!
Koinonia is Greek and it is found (I believe) 19 times in the Bible. It is translated as participation, social intercourse, benefaction, fellowship, communion, communication, distribution, and sharing. Most biblical translations leave it at fellowship, but apparently God had alot more in mind for us to do that just meet together when he told us to fellowship. He wants us to particiapate. He wants us to share and distribute. He wants us to communion.
The best example of true koinonia can be found in Acts 2:42-47. And we are told that when people participated in this type of koinonia, that many miracles were performed and that God added daily to the number of those being saved.
I don't know about you, but I like miracles!!! I would like to see more. I believe that if we were to participate in true koinonia today we would see some incredible miracles, and see more people added to the number of those saved.
Since I don't believe anyone is anti-miracles, what could possibly be holding them back? Why are Christians all over the world not foming koinonia communities. (for the record, a few are forming them around the world - Google it) FEAR!!!! Fear of the unknown. Fear of the unfamiliar. Fear of giving up stuff! It is easy to sell people on the idea of miracles. It's not too hard to sell the idea of participating, or communicating.It is the SHARING, and DISTRIBUTION that frightens them.
But we are promised that if we do this, we will not be living sacrificially, but abundantly. Check out the following verses.
Jeremiah 33:9 Then this city will bring me renown, joy, praise and honor before all nations on earth that hear of all the good things I do for it; and they will be in awe and will tremble at the abundant prosperity and peace I provide for it.
2Corinthians 9:10-15 Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.
This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God. Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, men will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else. And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you. Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!
We need to act on what God has instructed us to do
James 2:17 faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
James 1:22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.
So, there you go. A little info about koinonia community. More about it in the future. God has placed on our hearts to plant a koinonia community. Do you agree with it? Disagree? Intrigued? Interested? Wanna be a part of it? Think I'm crazy? I would love to know your input and answers to all the questions but the last one. I have already received plenty of input on that one ;0)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found you through "Enjoy the Journey". We have always been interested in the concept of koinonia. Am looking forward to more posts. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, just passing through, I found the word Koinia as I was doing my own little study on fellowship. I never heard it before, and now that I have, I'm not sure if I'm even pronouncing it correctly lol. I think that actually being able to do this would be amazing. To be able to come together in one accordto be devoted to one another (Romans 12:10), honor one another (Romans 12:10), live in harmony with one another (Romans 12:16; 1 Peter 3:8), accept one another (Romans 15:7), serve one another in love (Galatians 5:13), be kind and compassionate to one another (Ephesians 4:32), admonish one another (Colossians 3:16), encourage one another (1 Thessalonians 5:11; Hebrews 3:13), spur one another on toward love and good deeds (Hebrews 10:24), offer hospitality (1 Peter 4:9), and love one another (1 Peter 1:22; 1 John 3:11; 3:23; 4:7; 4:11-12).And in doing all this Gods Word can be learned and God could be Praised and so the world can see God through us as his vessels.Wow. What would it be like to witness this truly. I started this study because I was low in spirit because I'm having trouble Gathering the men for their bible study and fellowship only twice a month, imagine a whole community of exactly that all day every day. Well I know that all things are possible in he who strengthens me and it has been done before so I'll stop whining dust off my knees and continue to move forth in Jesus name. Koinonia here I come.