Friday, August 24, 2007

Homeschool Moms, Help!

Help! I am 3 days into school and already at my wits end. I love teaching my girls. They are intelligent and fun. But my 8 year old retains nothing! She learned how to tell time 2 1/2 years ago and we have been reviewing off and on over the last couple of years. It seems like periodically she loses all of her memory. Here we are again. I ask her to turn the hands of the clock to 4:09 and the hour hand ends up on the four, and the minute hand ends up at the 9, or 4:45. And this is happening with everything. I am losing my mind! I have probably taught her to tell time from scratch 8 times in the last two years. Same thing goes for borrowing and carrying in math. We have had to start from scratch over and over. But she scored high on math on her CAT test. I feel like I'm caught in that movie. Wasn't it Groundhog Day where the day kept repeating itself? Any advise from you homeschool veterans out there?

We have had several indications that she has ADHD but have chosen not to have her tested. I used to work with special ed kids and saw over and over again kids (and their parents) use a 'label' as an excuse not to try, either with behavior or academics. Also, Alea is already on meds for migraines. I would prefer not to have her on a whole bunch of brain altering medication. But I would sure appreciate any advise on how to help her to learn and retain more effectively.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Hang in there. Every teacher, everywhere finds this memory lose at the new school year. That's why the first few weeks are review, review , review.

schnuckiputzi said...

As a twenty-year teacher, I second jan's advice...let her settle in. But I would be alert to the possibility of some mild dyslexia. My freshman cannot tell time on a clock without intense work. She uses a digital. And other places where she has to move numbers -- multiplying fractions, she is lost. We will be praying for you and your new school year.