Monday, September 3, 2007

Our Road Trip

We are back! Thanks for the prayers, friends. We made it safe and sound, and only encountered a couple of minutes of rain on the way up. We rode to Abingdon, VA and stayed at a wonderful Bed & Breakfast called the Victoria & Albert Inn. If you are ever in the area, I highly recommend it. The innkeepers are very friendly, the rooms comfortable and quiet (I didn't even hear cars drive by), and the food was fabulous and plentiful. The owners of the inn also own the Withers Hardware Restaurant within walking distance of the inn ( I was ready to walk!). I ordered the Salmon Rockefeller and my husband ordered the filet. Our friends ordered the ribs, and stuffed pork chop, and all were delicious. Guests of the inn receive a free dessert and coffee, and I was a huge fan of their coffee.

We decided to take the scenic route home. We followed the Creeper Trail. I think this route added about 2 hours to our return trip. But the view, when I wasn't afraid to look, was gorgeous. I periodically saw signs along the road that said "The Crooked Road". Nifty! I am not a big fan of crooked roads. Everyone knows that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. I like straight roads, whether in a car or on a motorcycle. Most of the closely spaced curves displayed a 15 mph sign. I was okay with that. What I didn't understand were the occasional 'Maximum Speed Limit 55 mph' signs. There wasn't enough straight road to build up to 55mph! unless you were going over the edge!

Anyways, it was a blessed 24 hour getaway. We were blessed to have time together in such a beautiful setting. And we were blessed to have time together with some wonderful friends. God is good!

No comments: