Sunday, November 4, 2007

Fire! Fire!

I tried to start an electrical fire this morning! For those curious folks, electrical fire + caffeine does not equal steady hands. My hair dryer has been trying to go out. It has been flickering in and out, but I have been trying to keep it going. I am a little attached to my hair dryer. See, I have what I like to refer to as combination hair - combination curly and straight. So, allowed to follow it's natural form, it resembles a well-used mop. Sheer vanity prohibits me from going out as a mop head. I used to....then I saw the pictures. Ouch!

So.......today I had just finished drying the very front of my hair and, POP, sparks fly from the hair dryer to my arm, the back pops off it, and it shuts off as it flies from my hand to the floor. (as I look on, ready to run for the fire extinguisher) I have a small burn on my arm and the bathroom smells like 'burning'.

You know, I can't help but look back and see the warning signs. Just like our nerves warn our brain with pain when we touch something hot, there were warning signs leading up to the POP! The dryer started flickering on and off (Warning! Danger Ahead!). It even started loosening from the outlet, which, by the way, is not a loose outlet (Stop Now! You can still turn back!). Just like God tries to warn us of danger ahead with an unsettling feeling. The Holy Spirit always gives us a warning sign when we are leading down a dangerous path.

But I did what I so often do when I receive those warnings. I plowed ahead. After all, I know what I'm doing. I'm in control! I can play with fire and not get burned. Right? POP! Flying sparks! Oh! You were talking to me, God? I hear you now!

We have warning signs all around us. Stress, fatigue, headaches, illness, depression. These are all warning signs to Stop! Danger Ahead! What are they danger signs of? That is different for everyone. Often it is trying to accomplish too much in too little time. Other times it is a warning sign of living an unhealthy lifestyle. Sometimes, it is a detour sign from God telling us that he has a clearer path for us that leads toward a life of abundance.

My oldest daughter has had migraines since she was five years old. The cause seems unclear to medical professionals. Their solution is to help her deal with it. They actually told me that she would likely have them for life, but that most women find they start to taper off after menopause. Menopause?! She is eight!! I refuse to accept that. I see it as a warning sign. My God, the great I Am, can do anything!!!!! And we will continue to make small changes in lifestyle to try to lead us toward the path to abundance.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, did ya get a new hairdryer today!? By the way, I thought your hair looked great yesterday at church (just for the record!).
Chase used to have really bad migraines too when he was little. He doesn't get them too much now, just when he is stressed; another warning sign I guess.
I don't know why, but I think we all ignore most of them. Just our fleshly nature acting out. You'd think we would learn!
Great article! Keep it up! You're an inspiration as usual.
Love,
Starr

koinonia community said...

Starr,
Thanks for the comment. And yes, I did get a new dryer (a cheap $10 one at Walgreens). Thanks for the hair comment. You must like to mop!! :0)