I'm a little low on several of my standard soaping oils, and a little low on funds to purchase more oils as well. So I decided to develop a new soap recipe. Hey, it never hurts to branch out and try a new way of doing things. Using the lye calculator at www.soapcalc.net takes all the worries out of trying new recipes. You can tweak your recipes; change your oils, change your super fat percentage, change your quantities...anything! The best thing about this lye calculator is that it tells you the suggested range of such qualities as hardness, cleansing, conditioning, bubbly, creamy, iodine, and INS, and then shows you where your recipe lines up. For example, for hardness the suggested range is 29-54. Less than 29 and your bars may be too soft, and greater than 54 and your soap may be brittle. This new recipe of mine listed the hardness as 46. I can live with that.
I started with a very simple soap recipe that included palm oil, coconut oil, olive oil, shea butter, and castor oil. The super fat percentage is 6% due to the fact that it is a little harder and bubbly than the soap recipes I normally follow, and the fact that I didn't use goat's milk in place of some of my water. I considered a super fat of 8%, but hey, I was going to be piping this soap. I figured the harder the soap (and simpler the recipe) the better.
I didn't take nearly as many pictures as usual for this recipe. In part, it was because I just didn't have enough hands! Mostly it was because I was having one of those days that my hands weren't cooperating. I actually dropped my bottle of kumquat fragrance oil and spilled about a half ounce of it all over my kitchen counter, cabinets, recipe page...really just everything! My soap notebook smells like kumquats now.
On to the soap! I blended my oils and lye water to a light trace, and added my kumquat fragrance oil. I then separated the soap into two portions, coloring one portion with titanium dioxide for the white cake mix, and the other with a blend of strawberry red, citrus orange, and purple liquid soap dyes for the icing. The liquid dye was my first mistake. I was going for more of a rose tinted icing. I was thinking more along the lines of 'garden tea party' than 'fiesta!'....or more 'ladies pink' than 'kids pink'. Anyways.....I lined an old muffin pan with paper cupcake liners and poured the 'white cake batter' into the cups.
|I'm guessing this will work|
|Perfect consistency! Better than I'd hoped|
|They look like cupcakes!|
|Lots of cupcakes...sparkly!|
|Ready to be insulated|
Drum roll, please...............................
|White cake cupcakes|
|Purple cupcakes made with excess 'icing'|
|Blotchy purple coloring. * Deep sigh! *|