Monday, May 13, 2013

Spring Resolution



Some people have New Year's Resolutions. That always seemed so odd to me. The new year occurs in the dead of winter. Spring is when I think of change. Spring is when I resolve to examine my life garden and see what needs to be discarded this year, what needs to be added, and what things need to be planted in greater quantities. I want to examine what areas need to be plowed before the first weeds start emerging from the warm soil. So.......my Spring Resolution...........TRANSPARENCY. I resolve to attempt to stop hiding behind this poker face, and reveal the true me hidden beneath. No makeup. No jewelry. Be forewarned!

It still amazes me how some people expect/demand to be able to believe what they believe, and share their beliefs with others, BUT the moment someone believes otherwise, the same people are the first to judge and attempt to censor. We are all guilty of this at times. I know I am.

Some people think I'm just more compassionate and loving than some. They think I overlook the flaws of others. Sometimes they think I am just more accepting of people's shortcomings. I'm nowhere close to that pure. It's just that I have a different view of who is unlovable than most. I'm still guilty of judging others. I just am more likely to judge the judge and jury than the accused. I usually find those that others view as 'flawed' or 'sinners' as beautiful. Those that appear 'perfect' or 'righteous' are the ones that appear ugly to me. I believe that our differences make this world more rich and colorful. That doesn't make me a hypocrite. That makes me flawed.....just like you.

Empathy, Compassion, Love. Christ taught us to show each of these toward others; friends, enemies, family, and strangers. He loves them with their faults, just as He loves us with ours. Maybe you don't believe in Him, so you don't believe in what he said. Truth is the truth whether or not you believe it to be. So you don't agree with everyone. So what! Neither do I. I don't have to. I'm quite sure not everyone agrees with me. That's the beauty of free will.

This is my one beautiful life. I will make a mess. I will clean it up, only to make a horrible mess in another area. Sure, some areas of my life may be super shiny and sparkling clean. You can bet if my life were a house, only the smaller rooms.... maybe the closets and half baths would be clean. The largest rooms... the ones I live in all the time.... are covered with dust, clutter, books half-read, and muddy footprints. No matter how hard I try, parts of my life will be horribly messy. Who am I to judge the mess of someone else just because it doesn't resemble mine?

Well, that's my soapbox statement for the day. It's also my confession. You may agree. You may disagree. That's your choice. Even though I may sometimes shake my head and roll my eyes, I love you anyways.

No comments: